I have spent the last 11 months and 2 weeks nursing our little daughter. It was a rocky start...the pain, oh the pain, then the milk...it just kept coming...it was practically drowning our little P. Once we worked through those minor issues it was bliss. I love breastfeeding. The time is sweet, the skin to skin contact is tender, and the time away from everything else was refreshing. It gave me a chance to rock and cuddle my little doll away from visitors, the phone, laundry, dishes, etc. and I had time to just watch my daughter suckle.
We are coming close to one year. I always said I wanted to nurse for one year, and I have basically made it. P still nurses, she doesn't seem to need it but she takes it when offered- morning, night and a couple snacks during the day. I could probably keep going, but also think it might be nice to have my body back just for me - at least for a bit.
This last week the night feedings haven't satisfied the girl, so I have been supplementing with some breast milk we had stored in the freezer...the supply is running out, and we are traveling this weekend, so I decided we needed another option to fill this baby up. Last night we gave P a bottle of formula....the "crap" I thought I would never give my baby. (When we took our birthing class our instructor became famous in our household for shouting, "Are you going to feed your baby this crap?" while holding up a can of formula. So, the nickname for formula has stuck...she was a little over the top...)
I realize we are just a few weeks short of 1 year and could probably shift to cow or goat milk at this point. But, we also have a can and some packets of FREE formula hanging around the house that are chock full of DHA, Iron, and a myriad of other vitamins.
So, P got her first taste of formula last night; after she nursed she sipped down about 2 oz. of formula and was quite content to go to sleep. This morning the Mister and I got our first whiff of the formula diaper...whew...I am not sure how you formula moms do it but that was a seriously smelly diaper! It seems at this point the nickname might hold some truth...
2 comments:
It is stinky! And their burps are stinky too....
JM
How's it going now? Have you weaned her? I'm still nursing our last and he turned 19 months today! We are down to once every other day, but it's the mommy who is having a hard time, not the baby!
Fun to catch up on your blog! Hope your trip to CA went well!
Post a Comment