Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Snail Mail

I love the end of the year for a number of reasons...the end of something good, the beginning of something better, Advent, Christmas, cool weather requiring great hats and mittens, cups of tea, and if you are lucky a fire! But I think the thing I love the most is receiving real mail almost every day the whole month of December and in to January. The beautiful families that enter our home through the mail slot brings me much Joy! Old friends from high school, college, grad school; some we talk to more than others, some I haven't met or the Mister hasn't met...but then stories are told and pasts are revealed..."you know she is the one that I lived with that one time...".

It seems this season has come to an end. Today when I see the mail lady coming I certainly won't be running to the door...the mail will slide through and hit the ground but it will be junk mail and catalogs once again, no more pretty envelopes with hand written addresses. Oh it is sad.

Thank you friends for all the beautiful cards filled with news and reports and lovely faces! It is good to hear from you.

1 comment:

Anna said...

we should revive snail mail. seriously! I have all these wonderful letters from college and my trip to South Africa. But I haven't had a letter or even a card in ages...