Monday, October 13, 2008

Drill, Baby, Drill!

No, this is not a political post. It is far more important...to me.

I went to my cave yesterday and realized that my sole remaining battery for my 12v Porter-Cable cordless drill had given up its ghost.

There are lots of things I could do:
1) Nothing. I have at least 5 other drills/drivers and 2 of those are cordless (this is somewhat embarrassing as I type it!)
2) Get a 12v DeWalt drill that would use the same batteries as the right-angle DeWalt drill I have. Then I'd have 4 batteries to interchange.
3) Get a new 12v Porter-Cable cordless drill, which comes with two batteries. I could then use the two batteries on my two drills.
4) Get a new single 12v battery (for about half what I could get a new drill with two batteries).

Just in typing this, the logical choice seems to be #1. I could go through the list of drills I have and explain to myself why a 12v cordless drill is really a very different tool...but I doubt I could convince you (unless maybe your name is Mike).

The thing is, I'm really attached to my 12v drill. I've often included it in the list of three things I'd take with me if the house were on fire. We've worked together on countless projects. It has scratches, paint, dirt, and probably even a bit of blood on it. I've dropped it, sworn at it, overworked it, misplaced it, and even left it out in some drizzle once. But it just kept on giving.

The Mrs. suggested that I just frame it and move on (we saw a framed purse a few weeks back at Eastern Market). But a tool is meant for action. I think it would prefer to be either revived for further action, or simply be unceremoniously thrown away.

I don't think I can do #1 and feel OK about it. (Drill here, drill now!) And I don't think I can deal with another DeWalt product in the cave (I can't even explain that one to myself). So that leaves #3 and #4.

Please don't get any thoughts about this being some sort of a birthday hint. No, this is the kind of thing that a man needs to deal with himself. But being comfortable with my masculinity, I have been known to stop and ask for directions. Anyone have any direction for me?

5 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

This is most difficult, my friend. I feel your pain. Seriously.

Painful as it is, I'd have to commend option #3. You might remember I went the same way a couple of years back. It does feel like you're leaving a friend behind, but have a proper funeral and get a nice new drill with a fresh warranty and extra power and features. It'll last you as long as your faithful friend and, God willing, you'll be writing a similar post again after several years of fruitful partnership.

Or, you could just man up and get a Milwaukee... ;-)

hsy said...

Of course you need to go with option #3.
You have projects to do.
Get busy. Get to the hardware store NOW.

hsy said...

Dan says you could look for a 14.4 volt. Something. And Milwaukee is a good brand.

Anonymous said...

Good thing you have a birthday coming up :)
Ilana

Danielle said...

You lost me at #2.
I totally thought Mike was telling you to drink a beer.