Monday, September 08, 2008

The People in the Picture


This weekend we had a fantastic time hanging out with our two favorite engaged people, their families, and some new and old friends. (Hurricane Hanna also stopped by).

Sunday morning, with Hanna gone and the party over, I was sitting in the sunroom enjoying a cup of coffee when the people in the picture above somehow caught my attention. No, this isn't a 207 verison of Where's Waldo...and no, there wasn't anything besides cream and sugar in my coffee. I think I was just feeling nastalgic.

I couldn't help but reflect on how many people were represented in just one part of one room. My dad drove out one long, hot weekend to help me lay the floor. Mike sanded the floor and loving applied multiple coats of poly. The Mrs. designed the day bed and picked out the fabric. The windows were ordered (and reordered multiple times) by Ed at the Depot. The flowers were for our engaged friends just starting out on a new phase in life. I brought the little wood table home in my bachelor days with the help of a cabbie who specialized in charging exhorbident fees for delivering the futons and furniture of chagrinned shoppers who hadn't thought ahead about getting their purchases home. The wool rug was hand-woven by family friends from the coats of free-range Nebraskan sheep (honestly). And we're tree-sitting the ficas while our former neighbor works on getting a new house (she came by to visit it tonight). Oh, and the motion detector standing guard in the background came along shortly after the nice alarm sales guy sold us peace of mind in a dangerous world a few years back.

It is good to have people in the house!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHH, and Gigi's favorite place to hang with Phoebe in the early morning!!! :)

Danielle said...

looks like your place is in MUCH better shape than when Dawn and I were squatting there!!