Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What We Do

In this town, it seems that the question of what you "do" comes about two seconds into a conversation. Now, there are probably better questions (like "what is life-giving for you?"), but I'm resigned to having to field the 'do' question. I say resigned because after about 243 attempts at an answer, I still can't manage to give a good response. Part of the problem, of course, is that I'd like to give an answer that will elicit a response like, "wow, that sounds really interesting!" While I find my job really interesting and rewarding (most days), there are relatively few people in the world who would find it so (and most of them work in my building). Take for example one of the more high-profile things I work on, the FOMC Minutes. If you managed to read more than a paragraph or two just now, you probably work in my building and happened upon this blog.

But then there is the Mrs. When she mentions that she is an architect, people tend to say "wow, that sounds really interesting!" And, for good reason, the response is genuine.

This last weekend we stopped by one of the projects the Mrs. worked on for some time, Olson's Books in Crystal City. I'd heard a lot about it, but seeing it finished was fantastic. As we walked around anonymously, I felt like what an angel walking around Yosemite with God must feel. I wanted to grab people and say, "how about singing some praises to the creator of this joint you're enjoying before I smite your ass!" OK, so maybe an angel wouldn't say that, but you get the point. I managed to keep myself in check for the whole visit, absent the snapshot below that I subtley took while browsing a book.

.

4 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

okay, so I made it through three paragraphs of the minutes, but that's probably because I took your comments as a challenge.

...think I'd better take my girlie to the bookstore next week. I'll try to keep my smiting of asses to a minimum, however.

Anonymous said...

I find what you do fascinating!!! And read all that stuff (well, other people's comments on it at least) as soon as it is released. I read rumors about what it will say at least 1 week before it's published. It determines the fate of emerging market debt! What could be more exciting??!!

Is that crazy plant still taking over your office? Maybe you could write about that?

timthewelsh said...

I'm a little late in responding to this, I know - but this made me laugh out loud. (Homer voice: Heh heh... smite...).

So, I also read two paras. Quite interesting as it happens. But I'm more interested in the fact that you sat through a meeting like this for five hours, ending after 1.30pm. What I really want to know is - did they bring you sandwiches and stuff?

Tim

kate said...

REALLY cool!!! Way to go, Mrs.