Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy Thursday


"3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him." John 13: 3-5


Tonight we weren't able to make it to church for the Maundy Thursday service so we held our own at home.  Phoebe has been soaking up so much of the Passion story over lent that I have been hoping to encourage that with as much physical-ness as I can.  Tonight after saying the Vespers Office from Phyllis Tickle's, The Divine Hours, we washed one another's feet and served communion to each other.  It was a lovely service and a great way to help us all remember what we are heading into over the next few days.


"1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from saving me,
    so far from my cries of anguish?
2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
    by night, but I find no rest.[b]"
Psalm 22:1-2

No comments: