For months, P has insisted that she wanted to be cookie monster for Halloween. I wasn't sure if I should make the costume or wait, 3 year olds have a funny way of dramatically changing their mind. So I quizzed her on it over and over till at last there was no time left for changing our mind. We bought 2 yards of blue fleece and some styrofoam balls and went for it. I found a great video on-line that gave me some pointers for making this costume. (I can't find it now, otherwise I would link it).
I laid out this green costume to get a general idea of how big to make it, then had Phoebe lay down over this and traced her body, leaving lots of space for a bulky cookie monster to fit.
I cut it, sewed the seams, put elastic in the arm and leg cuffs, cut a line down the back and sewed in velcro for easy dressing. That was it!
Then I found one of P's shirts with a hood and traced around that to make a separate hood for the head. Once we tested to see if it fit, I added a 1/2" seam to the front so I could fish some pipe cleaners through, this gave it a bit of shape.
The last step was the eyeballs, which had a hard time staying on. The best way to get them on, I found, was using hot glue. P loved it, and it turns out the costume is quite warm, so warm in fact, she took it off at every party she wore it to, though it was perfect for trick-or-treating last night!Now, I suppose it will live in the dress up box, and maybe stick around for baby brother in three years?!
1 comment:
"P" i s very lucky to have such a talented Mama!!!
Mom
Post a Comment