Today as P and I were outside the Metro, outside the ATF building, outside the new Courtyard Marriott, right next to people having lunch at Au Bon Pain, we witnessed something that was a little disturbing.
A young pregnant woman seemed to be walking away from a man that she had some sort of relationship with and he was yelling at her, pulling her back by the shoulder strap of her purse. In the time I first noticed them to the time we got right next to them the pushing and pulling had gotten worse and was turning into a serious physical abuse situation. I stopped and watched, thinking he might stop if he knew I was watching...clearly not. And, I wasn't the only one watching. I looked around and saw a few others watching as intently as I was. I mentioned to a guy sitting having lunch, who looked like he could take care of the situation, that maybe something should be done. He agreed and continued to eat his lunch.
At this point I realized no one was going to do anything...they were just going to watch. There are normally security guards standing around at the ATF building, maybe one of them could do something? But there were none in sight.
Everyone just kept watching and the situation was getting some energy.
Finally, I said, "Ma'am, do you need some help?"
I think this made things worse for her, but whatever. I pulled out my phone and asked her again if she needed some help and assured her that if she wanted this to end I could help. I started dialing the 9...not really sure if this was what should be done. Finally, a manager came out of the hotel (a rather large manager) and broke things up. I darted to the Metro and so did the lady. She said thank you and we went on our way.
I just keep asking myself, what were all those people looking at? Do they think it is ok for a man to treat a young pregnant lady that way? It really got to me! I am proud that I said something, but I am so sad that I had to say something; that no one taught these two young people how to deal with frustration other than physical and verbal abuse. And I am so sad for the people around them who didn't feel like it was their responsibility to step in.
I don't know what was going on with that interaction, but the reality of that moment was that this man was treating this woman in a way that is not respectful of life.
3 comments:
I am so proud that you said something as well! I hate to think what she had to go home to, what the next interaction with him might be...
I wonder if we've become such a voyeristic society {internet, facebook, twitter, my space}, only observing, that to actually interact in a situation like that has become completely foreign to the public at large.
I'm sure many of those same people sitting there who didn't do a thing would shake their heads over their morning coffee while reading a news report about it.
Sad.
So proud that you have compassion instilled in your heart that you would take it upon yourself to say something. So sad that no one could be there to back you up. It was brave of you considering you were a woman alone with your child. I would hope and pray that there would be someone to step up and help you,if Matt wasn't there, and a scary situation warranted it. The whole story makes me so sad. I love you and am proud of you
Love, MOM
Thank you.
Post a Comment