Saturday, August 25, 2007

No Dirt?!?

The Mrs. has been taking her licensing exams for a while now...I can't believe how many of them there are! Up until the last one, I figured it was the better part of valor to let her study on her own. After all, I would only get in the way (and confused) when it came to drawing and construction documents.

But this last test seemed like it would be pretty interesting. It was supposed to be about excavation, soil types, drainage, zoning, and other pre-design stuff that I kinda like (I still like to play in the dirt). So I got her to let me go through some flash cards with her. In the process, I got pretty invested. I was quite proud of myself for learning some technical architect stuff like angles of repose, soil particle sizes, terms for shoring material, letters of zoning codes, and even a little bit about project budgeting (including inflation estimation!).

When the Mrs. finished her exam, I was, of course, very interesting in how she felt about it. But I also wanted to know how "I" did on the exam..."tell me all the dirt questions!"

Shockingly, there were no dirt questions. In fact most of the stuff the three study guides said would be on the test wasn't on the test at all...and a bunch of stuff that wasn't supposed to be on the test was. I feel vicariously cheated and mislead! How am I going to get credit for knowing that clay has a particle size of .002 mm or less? And that wet clay has an angle of repose of 30%? The Mrs. would have nailed all those questions, and way more, but they couldn't be bothered to even ask. The nerve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well at least nobody got SHOT at!! (An improvement over the situation in your previous entry!!)

Still Trembling,
The L. Mom