Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ahoy there matey!

Sunday we decided that it would be fun to hang out with some of our favorite younger friends. We conspired with the Gazelle, and decided to take them on an outdoor adventure. Since none of our guys have a great affinity for water, we kept out ultimate objective a secret until the last minute. By the time K Street turned into Water Street, though, they were getting the idea...we're going canoeing!

There was much trepidation at the start. In fact, there was some jockeying for position...to sit in the middle of a canoe where one can be down low inside the boat, not perched perilously on a seat. As we slowly left the dock, with one person barely paddling...upstream...Mr. D demanded that we slow down.

But after being underway for a bit, they seemed to relax. At a break on a little rock island, Mr. M even allowed, to the Gazelle, that he wasn't afraid any more. Of course, he wound up being so relaxed that he didn't bother to do much paddling...so the Mrs. picked up his slack.

The Termite was quite relaxed after a bit as well. He began hailing every craft within earshot with "Ahoy there matey." Most of the mates actually responded! I subsequently discovered that if I had a water-proof blackberry, we could have done the same thing electronically. Hm.

Amazingly, there were no human casualties. I did, though, heroicly save a sock that Termite dropped overboard...only to fall in myself and submerge the camera that took the pictures below. It was on its last legs anyway, and the pictures (and the sock) survived unscathed, so all is well. Good thing I left the blackberry at home for once.



1 comment:

kate said...

Hee hee! What a fabulous idea. I'm sure the other 'mateys' got a huge kick out of being greeted that way.
(this is mixing comments, but I hope the test went well...)